A healthy twist on a New Orleans favorite!
- 1 (14 oz.) package Smoked Chicken Sausage
- 1/2 lb. (about 2.5 cups) cooked shredded chicken
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and de-veined (optional)
- Spray crockpot with cooking spray. Slice sausage into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Add the sausage along with all other ingredients, to slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high.
- You can also add shrimp the last 20 minutes of cooking if desired.
- Check to see if rice is cooked and tender. Stir everything together, sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired, and enjoy!